I just love this time of year. It’s always been my favorite. My family wasn’t huge on traditions when I was a little girl, but I have always loved them so very much. When I first became a wife, I knew I wanted traditions to be a constant and fun part of the holiday season. Here are some of my favorite:
1) The first year Jon and I were married, we picked out a little bird ornament to celebrate our first year as a married couple. Every year since, we have picked out a new bird for our tree, and attach a little tag with the year. The ornament pictured above is this year’s addition. Ruby loves it.
2) I make my Aunt Vickey’s famous homemade potato bread to give to family and friends. It’s one of those funny handful of this, heaping spoonful of that recipes, and it’s definitely a labor of love, but it is so special to me and I’ve yet to taste a better bread. She gave me personal lessons when I was young, and it’s so sentimental every time I bake it up.
3) Christmas Eve, we open Christmas jammies. Jon and I pick out each others. It’s a fun tradition and he always gets something luxurious from Nordstrom or the like and they end up being my favorite pajamas for the year! Ruby’s going to look like a little candy cane in her jammies this year. I can’t wait!
4) Jon and I put together stockings for each other. It’s so special and fun to see what he picks out for me, and his reaction when he opens up what I selected for him.
5) Ever year we do a Sub for Santa or two. I love it.
6) This year we started a new tradition– staying in the Little America overnight, after going to see Christmas Lights downtown with our best friends. It didn’t really go as planned this year for a couple of reasons (anyone catch my instagram early morning wakeup call?). We are going to plan better next year– ha!
7) We always go on a fancy holiday dinner as a couple, also with our best friends, to a restaurant called The Roof. It has a beautiful view of the city and lights and our Temple.
8) Random acts of kindness are one of my favorite traditions. When I was little, my dad would pull me out of bed on Christmas morning and drag me from house to house in our neighborhood before opening presents, shoveling driveways of our neighbors. He would explain why each one needed our help, and what Christmas is really about. It has stuck with me all these years and I always love surprising strangers with anonymous acts of kindness and service.
9) On Christmas Eve, I love to have my parents and Jon’s mom over for dinner. I usually bake a ham and it just feels like Christmas!
10) Also new this year, Jon’s sisters made us the most beautiful felt advent calendar. It’s a replica of the handmade felt calendar Jon’s mom made that they used when they were children. Every sibling family got one (he is the youngest of 7– what a load of work!) and Ruby has had so much fun pulling out a little felt ornament each day and pinning it on the tree.
11) Ruby also got her first Christmas book this year, and we have had fun reading it to her each night. Every year I plan to add to the collection.
12) And of course, a trip to Santa with a photo! Here is last year’s. We haven’t done this year’s yet!
That is a handful of some of my favorite holiday traditions, and I’m always looking to add to it! I’m so interested to hear your favorite holiday traditions. Do share!
Christmas is getting so close….
Psssst– don’t forget to enter the Brika giveaway! It’s a good one!