I hope your Easter was as lovely as mine! We celebrated with a mini egg hunt in the backyard, lunch with the grandparents on our deck (heaven) and thinking of Christ. Ruby had so much fun and is coming off a jellybean high. Here’s to a week of healthy eating!
We have been making some major progress in the kitchen. It feels so good to get things moving in there! If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve probably seen some sneak peeks. Today I’m sharing a simple project that had a big impact– we added moulding to our kitchen island.
First, let’s look at some before photos. It was the definition of boring.
It blended in with the floor color, and had no interest or detail. We were ready to change that. First, we picked up the moulding. We used a combination of base boards and flat moulding.
Next, we removed the cheap filler strips. They were thin and had a sort of rounded side.
Once everything was off, it was time to put down the new moulding. We built a frame, with the wider pieces on the bottom.
Quick toddler hug of encouragement before bedtime, then back to work on the moulding frame.
To get around the plugs, we cut a notch out of the moulding, then cut a small piece, also with a notch, to make a little frame around it.
Once the moulding was all in place, we used spackle to fill in the nail holes and seams. Then we used an electric sander to sand it all down. And in the process added a thick layer of dust everywhere. Sigh.
We wiped it all down with a towel, then I primed it using a flat Zinnser primer – it’s important to prime the moldings before you paint, so the paint ends up with consistent sheen. I then painted two coats using the same paint we used on our cabinets: Benjamin Moore Advance. I brushed the moulding, then rolled as much as I could of the inside, and brushed the corners. If you move quickly, and avoid letting the paint dry before one complete coat is done, you’ll avoid brush strokes and the paint will smooth out and give a sprayed look.
Check out the finished product:
What a big impact for a relatively small project! It’s amazing how moulding can make a room look so much more finished and custom.
You may have caught a glimpse of the new backslash… it’s finished! Feels and looks sooooo good. Sharing all the details tomorrow!