February 19, 2015

DIY Faux Relaxed Roman Shade in Client’s Home

IMG_5932

My clients, like me, typically don’t have unlimited budgets.  We try to maximize their money and achieve a high-end look without going high-end on every single purchase.

When designing the Farmington Project, I knew to splurge on a few items like artwork, we were going to have to find a way to still give her beautiful window treatments but cut down the cost.  Her husband didn’t really want drapes in that room and I thought a relaxed roman shade would look beautiful on the three windows along her wall.  Custom roman shades ain’t cheap, so we decided on a DIY approach.

Like me, my client is expecting, and also works a busy job so she asked if I could make them for her.  I’ve made them before and knew the easiest way to tackle them.  I then asked my lovely and talented design assistant, Hailey, to make them, following my direction, while I prepped everything for install.  She followed the same tutorial that I used when I made them for my master bathroom.

IMG_5942

They are each a diy faux relaxed roman shade so they don’t move up and down, but that wasn’t a concern because the windows already had blinds which can be easily hidden under the shade then pulled down for privacy when needed.

The beautiful fabric is Gold Scallop from Caitlin Wilson Textiles.  I’ve received some requests for info on other items in the home, so here are a few sources:

Coffee Table | Sofa (Z Gallerie, no longer available) | Chairs | Rug | Pillows 1, 2, 3 | Side Table (very similar) | Crystal Candle Votive

Don’t you love when someone can’t spot the DIY in the room?  Such a great feeling.

post-sigs-1

1. Julie

February 20th, 2015 at 7:40 am

Just gorgeous! Love the rug. What size did you get for that room and is it soft? Thanks!

2. Jen

February 20th, 2015 at 11:03 am

Thank you! We did a 9×12 and it is very soft!

3. Katherines Corner

February 22nd, 2015 at 7:28 pm

The shades look lovely and fit the room beautifully. I love that you were able to be a bit thrifty with the design too. This is my first visit to your lovely blog. I look forward to many more visits. Hugs!

4. Michele

February 23rd, 2015 at 12:31 pm

How do you feel about the chairs, they look awesome in the picture but the online reviews seems less than stellar.

5. Jen

February 23rd, 2015 at 10:23 pm

They looked great in person!

6. Eve Stanley

March 25th, 2015 at 4:06 am

Love the fluffy white pillow! Such a marvellous idea! The decor looks great 🙂

7. Elise

December 15th, 2015 at 3:12 pm

The link the tutorial doesn’t seem to be working any more. Can you post it again? Thank you!

8. Elizabeth P

December 29th, 2015 at 9:18 am

I’m also trying to use the link – I read it before and bookmarked it to do this project – and it’s just coming up blank!

9. Jen

January 3rd, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Hi Elizabeth, I’m so sorry you were having problems! We had a spam/hacker issue and I think it’s all fixed now. Let me know if you still have issues!

10. Marylyn

December 20th, 2015 at 11:01 pm

For most up-to-date information you have to pay a quick visit internet
    and on internet I found this web site as a finest website for hottest updates.

11. Mckenzie

January 4th, 2016 at 12:34 pm

I too am having trouble veiwing the link it keeps redirecting me back to this post.

12. Jen

January 7th, 2016 at 11:24 am

This is so weird! Not sure what’s happening. I’m working on it now and will let you know! Thanks!

13. Mckenzie

January 4th, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I too am having trouble with the link it keeps redirecting me back to this post.

14. Jen

January 7th, 2016 at 11:24 am

Your email address will not be published.

Let Us Show You Around

@jenniferstagg

home

about

blog

contact

shop

podcast

my home

tutorials

guides

youtube

shop

She’s Jen. He’s Jon. We’re believers in the power of home, fearless DIYers, and eternal optimists who know with a can-do spirit, elbow grease and some guidance, you can create a home you love. We love a good project—or 20. Stick around and we’ll have you pulling out the paint brushes and fluffing throw pillows in no time.

hello there!