Last week during my haircut, as my stylist pulled up a piece to blow-dry, I saw it–a shiny silver strand of hair. I gasped in horror and he quickly spurted out “Jen, I didn’t even see it!” But I knew he had. I had. There was no more denying it. I am getting older.
That pesky hair was long. Like several inches. It had been there for a while. Sure, I have spotted what I thought could maybe possibly be gray hair before, but I always seemed to say, whew, good thing that hair is just extra shiny! It’s not gray, it’s just glimmering! She-yeah right.
I told my stylist to promptly pluck that hair and said “Shep, have you seen others?” He paused. HE PAUSED. Then said no. Ahhhhhh– he meant yes! How many were there? ARE there? Surely that little hair has buddies taking up valuable real estate. And my worrying about it is probably producing more gray hair.
Sigh. Looks like I may have to cave some time in the near future and actually dye my hair. I’m holding out as long as I can! And while that silver hair is annoying, I also appreciate what it represents– experience, wisdom, motherhood, growth, opportunities, and becoming more the person I am meant to be.
And part of that is comfort in what I look like, and my personal style. But hey youth, you can stay in my locks as long as you wish. K. Thanks. Bye.
And can we talk about how much I love color blocking? Like love. The top I’m wearing is one of the most versatile items in my closet. Here are a few more of my current favorites:
1) I am in love with this blouse! Can’t you just see it going with everything?
2) Hi hot dress, can I take you home? (especially for that price! Can I have one in each color, please?)
3) This cute peplum would be great with a turtleneck or a collared shirt under for fall and winter!
4) Well aren’t these shoes just darn cute.
5) Want doesn’t really apply when it comes to this skirt. I neeeeed it. STAT.
Photos by James Young